Yes. 6 Billion mobile phone subscriptions in 2011. That is only a billion less than world population at the end of the year 2011. Another interesting aspect is that the number of Active mobile broadband subscriptions is now more that the number of landline connections. Below is the list of facts that might surprise you:
- 90% of global population has 2G coverage while 45% has 3G coverage. 159 economies have 3G coverage.
- 1.2 billion mobile broadband subscriptions
- Internet users in China account for 25% of global interntet population (approx).
- 70% of global youth are yet to get a peek at internet.
- 0.6 billion households have internet at home (among total of 1.8 billion households)
- Europe has the best average Internet bandwidth per internet user (90,000 bps). Every other continent is below world's average (don't ask me how). 54% of Europeans have active mobile broadband subscription.
- Korea has most active mobile broadband subscriptions (91% of population), followed by Japan and Sweden. Don't ask me where India is in this list.
- Korea has best fixed broadband network bandwidth average. Majority of the connections have bandwidth over 10Mbps. It is embarrassing for India, the percentage of users on 2Mbps+ bandwidth is in extreme minority.
For extensive detail, download this PDF